Transportation P.S.

>> Saturday, June 02, 2007

I had mentioned that there's a legal limit to the number of passengers on a bus, but what happens if there's a violation of that limit? Well, I can tell you because our bus today got pulled over by the police for having 20+ people when the limit is 15.

We pulled over to the side of the road and I thought someone was getting out--you can get out wherever you want along the side of the road--but only the driver got up. He opened my door and grabbed a plastic bag from under my seat and started walking toward the officer. He handed him the bag and told him that there were bananas and other snacks in there. Holly and I exchanged a glance like, "did you see what I just saw?" We did and it was. The question that I'm stuck on now is what was that bag doing there? Was it the driver's lunch or is there always a prepared bribery goody bag in the van? I'll have to keep my eye out for these things in the future.

2 comments:

Matt 8:53 PM, June 04, 2007  

That's all it takes to bribe some Nicaraguan cops?! A bag of bananas??

Team Clarkhelm 9:27 PM, June 04, 2007  

I just read your entire blog, does that make me a blog stalker? Thanks for the information. My husband and I are waiting to be medically cleared and are hopefully heading to Central or South America. We currently live in Argentina which has made the process even that much more frustrating. It was motivating to read your experiences... I hope there is a light at the end of our tunnel as well! Que le vaya bien, y tomen mucha Toño che!

THE CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE ARE OURS PERSONALLY AND DO NOT REFLECT THE POSITION OF THE U.S. GOVERNMENT OR THE PEACE CORPS.

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP